When I’ve had a busy day and have no answers for “what’s for dinner?” I reach for lentils and rice. Khichdi—the ideal marriage of Split Green Gram and rice—is a comfort food that is nutritious, yummy and no-brainer to make. With the consistency of cooked oatmeal, Kichdi also provides the perfect base to pile on top other savory elements including sautéed or stir-fried greens and vegetables. Or, you can just serve it with plain yogurt or Raita.
This kit yields 2 (by itself)/4 (as side dish) servings.
Included in this meal kit: Rice, Split Green Gram (Moong dal), Masala Mix (Chili powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Ginger powder, Turmeric and Mango powder)
You will need (not included in this bag)…
- 4½ to 5 cups water for cooking plus 2 cups for soaking rice and lentils
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tomato, cut to bite-size pieces
- 1 Asian eggplant cubed (optional)
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil/ butter/ghee
- Salt, to taste