A dinner kit that tastes great, smells divine, and gives you two grains and oodles of healthy protein…What’s not to love about Chapathi, Chana Masala and Basmati Rice?
Chapathi is a type of unleavened flat bread made with whole wheat flour. It is a staple in many parts of Asia and Africa. Although the words Chapathi and Roti are often interchanged, Chapathi is a type of Roti.
While it is not uncommon to eat Chapathi smeared with a sweet or savory condiment, typically, Chapathis are eaten with prepared vegetables, curries and dhals. The best method to eat a Chapathi is to tear off a piece and use it to scoop the vegetables or curry and pop into your mouth.
Chana Masala is also called Chole or Chole Masala. It is made with chickpeas cooked in a tangy tomato sauce. Rich in protein, Chana Masala can be prepared the traditional way by first soaking chick peas for a few hours and then boiling them, before simmering the legumes in the tomato sauce. When pressed for time, you can achieve the similar results by substituting a can of Garbanzo beans for the chickpeas included in this meal kit.
This kit yields 4 servings. Detailed directions are included in the kit.
Included in this meal kit…
Chana Masala: Chickpeas, Chili Powder and Chana Masala Mix (Bay leaves, Dry mango powder, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Cumin powder, Coriander powder, crushed black pepper powder, cardamom powder, and star anise powder)
Chapathi: Whole Wheat Flour
You will need (not included in this bag)…
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 tomatoes pureed
- ½ inch ginger grated PLUS ½ inch ginger julienned, for garnish
- 3 small cloves of garlic minced or grated
- 2 green chilies, slit in half lengthwise (for garnish; optional)
- 15 oz. can of Garbanzo beans (if you decide to not use the provided chickpeas)
- Water (approximately 5 cups for cooking; more for soaking chickpeas, etc.)
- Cooking oil/ghee (approximately 8 tbsps.)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 handful of Cilantro, chopped (for garnish)